You would like to remodel your bathroom or kitchen and you have a pretty good idea of what you want it to look like, but where to start. Who do you call first? Find someone in the Yellow Pages or on the Internet? Stop pulling your hair out, because I’m about to share five of the most important things to consider before starting any home remodeling project.
1. Go to the library and get some books? If you are going to remodel your bathroom, find some books on bathroom remodeling and start looking at the pictures, learn about the different styles, and then get more books. More books generally means more images, and more images leads us to our next tip.
2. A picture is worth a thousand words. It doesn’t really matter which section of the house you are remodeling, if you don’t know exactly what you want it to look like, you will have to start looking at pictures and looking at as many pictures as possible. , until you come up with something you really want.
3. Will this design work well in my home? It will never be a good idea to install Spanish tiles in a contemporary bathroom. Make sure your remodeling project matches the style of the rest of your home.
4. How much is this going to cost? You can get pricing for all the items you plan to install and this should get you off to a good start. To find out about labor prices, you will need to contact a contractor, but only do so after reading tip number five.
5. How do I find a good contractor? This is not as difficult as most people think it is, but you will have to look for three very important things. Make sure you get along with the contractor, that you have enough experience to complete the project, and of course verify that you actually have a contractor’s license.
In short, if you really don’t know what you want, start looking at pictures and if you don’t know how much things are going to cost, start reading some books on construction costs. If you don’t know who to hire, start asking your friends for referrals.
Good luck and I hope this helps you on your next remodel project.